"There is no stronger weapon against inequality and no better path to opportunity than an education that can unlock a child's God-given potential."

President Barack Obama

Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

You’re Complaining But You Have No Education

“I want a raise.” “I want a better job.” “I want more flexibility in my work schedule.” “I want more hours.” “I want a more challenging career. I’m tired of doing the same thing everyday.” So many WANT more at their job yet many of them are not even QUALIFIED to take that higher position or receive that raise. The amount of education you have obtained and job experience determines how high on the job ladder that you will climb and for many, they have not even begun to step on the first ledge. If we look at the desires of many in the corporate world that have great careers, their biggest want is not a raise; their profession is already paying them a respectable salary for their contribution. What many want is time flexibility. The flexibility to not be confined to a 9-5 but generate a schedule where they can complete work efficiently and still have a life outside the office. That is not the case with someone working a constrained job where they have a fixed time, place, duty, and income, and usually these are bottom of the barrel jobs that offer no advancement. Their wants are raises, a more rewarding job, more advancement, or lively career where they feel like they are actually doing something. Let us take a look at some jobs that do not require a college education where a person would want more.
1.   Warehouse Worker – There are many types of warehouse professions from bottling to packaging to furniture. Unless you are hired in the office as a clerk (data entry), then you would be out in the warehouse moving, importing, and exporting. And that will be your job for the rest of your life unless you opt for Supervisor where you move into the office. The biggest complaints will be, “I want a raise,” “I want a better job,” “I want a more challenging career. I’m tired of doing the same thing everyday.” Yet I can honestly say from supervisor you have the opportunity of moving to shift supervisor and then branch manager, but this would take a decade or so and exceptional skills. But one thing is clear, a 24 year old fresh out of USC with a MBA will receive that branch manager position highly quicker than any supervisor

2.   Security Guard – Some security guard posts are challenging, yet the bulk of them are tedious and a measly excuse for a profession. The biggest complaints will be, “I want a raise,” “I want a better job,” “I want a more challenging career. I’m tired of doing the same thing everyday.”

3.   Telemarketer – You make phone calls all day to random people. The only change ever in this profession are the people you call but the phone, dialing, and script stays the same. The biggest complaints will be, “I want a raise,” “I want a better job,” “I want a more challenging career. I’m tired of doing the same thing everyday.”

4.   Non-Clerical City Worker – These people are bus drivers, ticket patrols, parks and recreational gardeners, street sweepers, garbage truck drivers, and also workers who repair our roads and sewages when they are clogged up. Now there is nothing wrong with these positions, especially the workers who fix the Americans roads of this great nation, but you cannot deny it is same thing every time they go to work. Bus drivers are going to drive a bus on the same route; ticket patrol are going to give out tickets to angry pedestrians; gardeners are going to mow and trim our yards; garbage man is going to collect that disgusted trash we detest; and etc. This will be there job until the day they die and nothing will change; no pay, hours, advancement or benefits. The biggest complaints will be, “I want a raise,” “I want a better job,” “I want more hours,” “I want a more challenging career. I’m tired of doing the same thing everyday.”

5.   Truck Driver/Mover – Truck drivers get to the see the country and travel from state to state. They don’t have to do anything except get the shipment there on time and let the loaders at the warehouses do the rest. In the meantime where are their entrepreneur endeavors, how are they climbing up the corporate ladder, or how are they acquiring sufficient managerial skills where they may one day want to park the truck and take a respectable corporate job? And then movers do the same thing from sun up to sun down; they move furniture. And they are not done until the last piece of furniture is in its destination or the client is going to be highly pissed about their stuff. The biggest complaints will be, “I want a raise,” “I want a better job,” “I want a more challenging career. I’m tired of doing the same thing everyday,” “I want less/more hours,” “I want more flexibility in my work schedule.”

6.   Janitor – They clean the offices of those college graduates climbing up the corporate ladder, even if there is nothing to clean. The biggest complaints will be, “I want a raise,” “I want a better job,” “I want a more challenging career. I’m tired of doing the same thing everyday,” “I want less/more hours,” “I want more flexibility in my work schedule.”
There are more jobs out there where people would complain they want more but these are the bulk of jobs that many African Americans possess. As you can see these jobs go nowhere and even if you did have a college degree there is no door for advancement; what you see is what you get.  You cannot you climb out of these pot holes without a higher education. A higher education will grant you that career that will eliminate all of your job advancement complaints. No more “I need a raise” because you will be in a career that pays well and rewards their best workers. No more “I want a challenging career or better job” because you will have the education to enter the profession of your choice, giving you the happiness you seek. Until you make that move towards a higher education you will have to kickback and enjoy watching college graduates walk past you with their suits on, in their nice cars, or carrying shopping bags in the middle of the work day because they possess a rewarding career and you are stuck with a dead end job.
Always remember, while working any of these dead end jobs above or any bottom of the barrel job, slaving your life away, sweating and burning in the heat, being in the eye of the client or customer and having to be at your best because you don’t want to lose your expandable position, always remember there is a 22-24 year old college graduate sitting in an office, getting paid 5x what you get paid, and they do not do even 10% of the hard work that you do. Lawyers do a lot of research but it is nothing compared to the hard physical work of a mover, yet lawyers are paid a 100x what movers receive. While you sit there without a college education, wasting your life at a dead end job, a young 22-24 yr. old graduate is sitting in the coolness of an office, getting paid in a week what you make a year, and until you gain a degree it will always be that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment